Hand Crafted Painted Metal Skyhook Balance Toy - Jester
259 Save 42%
Product Details?Ask a question about this item
Front row at the circus… Our house was large, which was no luxury since it was filled with children and books. My Dad had the upper floors braced with steel beams; his library was heavy. Books filled his study and dominated the six bedrooms. Even the stairs were lined with bookshelves. We never ran out of reading material, one of the perks of his job as the editor-in-chief of a newspaper. Another advantage was free tickets to the theater, opera, and to the occasional circus passing through. Dad liked the opera. I liked the circus. The circus won, and I peeled potatoes for eight all winter. I still prefer the smell of elephants, tigers and lions to that of potato skin. And the horses! Not to forget the ladies riding bareback, flaunting their gauze tutus. I realize that in our day and time, trained animals are an issue, but to me, sitting front row, the circus was another world, one of romance, adventure, color and exotic smells.
Balancing toys have been around for centuries, teaching children and adults about the laws of physics. In Victorian times, originally called skyhooks, but also known as balance toys, were first made to demonstrate the workings of counterweights and centrifugal force: simple counter-weighted toys which could be set on a shelf or the rim of a table, and set in motion to everyones delight and amazement. They soon evolved into fun and whimsical objects, never ceasing to amuse and surprise: people loved to watch toys that were doing things that seemed impossible. In an era where the laws of gravity and electricity seemed magical, balance toys became very popular. Even though we now understand the mystery of the laws of gravity, there is still something fascinating and amusing in watching a balanced object lean and sway.
- Classic Folk Art - Fits in classic decor, contemporary decor, eclectic!
- Totally handcrafted from recycled sheet iron metal - Hand forged in the tinsmith way - Painted and hand waxed to a warm and subtle shine
- Expertly hand painted tole and finished to look like the real antique ones.
- Of course this is an attractive accent to the kids room, but this is also a decorative and fun object that can fit anywhere! - For the good old western movies lover, or for the horse rider…
- A curiosity that was very popular during the 18th and 19th Centuries: a functioning skyhook, a classic accessory.
|Measurement||37cm W x 18cm D x 61cm H|
|Return Policy||This item is NOT eligible for our 14 day change of mind return|
We Also RecommendSee all Games-Giftware
More From This ManufacturerSee entire manufacturer ›
Douglas Dakota DC-3 Airplane Aluminium Scale ...
Travels Light Hot Air Balloon Model - Blue
1901 Americas Cup Columbia Yacht Model - ...
Weber Costello 1920s USA Tabletop Globe - ...
Hand Crafted Painted Metal Skyhook Balance ...